10 Early Warning Signs of Cancer in Dogs
As many of you know, our dog Sasha was diagnosed with terminal cancer this week and we wanted to spread the word about Early warning signs of canine cancer.
- Unusual odors. Foul odor coming from the mouth, nose or rectal area.
- Bumps or lumps under the skin. Get into the habit of checking your pets skin monthly. Don’t forget to check behind ears and around the face.
- Unusual weight loss.
- Appetite changes. Many health conditions cause appetite loss, cancer is one of them.
- Lethargy. Learn to tell the difference between a lazy dog and lethargic one. If your pet is spending more time sleeping, talk to your veterinarian.
- Respiratory problems. Indicators could be coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath after very little exercise
- Behavior changes. Has your normally mellow dog been snapping? Is your pet spend more time away from you?
- Open sores that are not healing properly.
- Vomiting and Diarrhea. Also check your dogs abdominal area for swelling.
- Pale gums could mean blood loss, and cancer is one of the many illnesses associated with cancer.